22 British Experiences for 2022
There's so much to do in England, Wales, and Scotland - start dreaming now!
Treat your royal self today! Book by July 1, 2022, for travel between July 13, 2022, and December 31, 2023. See our Jubilee of Savings.
Imagine yourself walking in the footsteps of kings in a romantic castle. Or hearing traditional Scottish tunes played by a lively band. Or visiting a traditional farm and watching the sheepdogs show off their herding skills. Check out our list of experiences below to whet your appetite for travel and give you something to dream about! And start your planning. You could be lifting a pint in a historic pub or strolling the cobbled streets of an ancient coastal town before you know it!
1. Soak in spectacular scenery as you cruise the mysterious, deep waters of Loch Ness. Perhaps you'll spot the legendary monster! Recommended tour: Taste of Scotland
2. Marvel at priceless artifacts and furniture on a tour of Glamis Castle. Glamis Castle has been home to the Lyons family since the 14th century- it's famed as the setting of Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”, and was the childhood home of the late Queen Mother. Recommended tour: Scottish Dream
3. Take in the dramatic beauty of the Isle of Skye as you discover 800 years of history at Dunvegan Castle – the oldest inhabited castle in Scotland and home to the same family, Clan McLeod, for 30 generations. Recommended tour: Scottish Clans & Castles
4. Explore the fascinating heritage of Orkney as you tour the spellbinding Neolithic sites at the Ring of Brodgar and the village of Skara Brae. At 5,000 years old, these are among the most important prehistoric monuments in Europe. Recommended tour: Scottish Isles & Glens
5. Tour the coastal town of St Andrews and spend a little time exploring. Not only is it world-renown as the home of golf (they've been playing it here since at least the 16th century!), it's also got the third-largest university in the world. Recommended tour: Irish & Scottish Sampler
6. Walk in the footsteps of kings and queens as you tour Edinburgh Castle - and see the glories of the Scottish Crown Jewels. The castle is perched high above the city on volcanic rock, so you can't beat the view. Recommended tour: Taste of Scotland & Ireland
7. Experience the romantic ruins of Armadale Castle on the Isle of Skye, and its acres of magnificent woodland gardens. Armadale Castle was once the home of Clan Donald - the largest clan in the world and once the rulers of Scotland's western seaboard. Recommended tour: The Scots Irish Tour
8. Watch sheepdogs strutting their stuff as they display their herding talents at a local sheep farm. Recommended tour: Scottish & Irish Gold
9. See one of Europe’s finest art collections, with masterpieces by Rembrandt, Titian, and Dali when you visit the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow. Built on industry, Glasgow is now known for its stunning Victorian architecture and creative cultural scene. Recommended tour: Scottish & Irish Dream
10. Visit the Tower of London – once a royal residence and an infamous prison. See the Crown Jewels, the Beefeaters keeping guard in their Tudor-era regalia, and the ravens that tradition says protect the Crown and the Tower. Recommended tour: London Daytripper
11. See St George's Chapel, where Prince Harry wed Meghan Markle, as you tour Windsor Castle. At over 900 years old, it's the largest inhabited castle in the world. The Queen often spends weekends here, and it's an official Royal residence for formal duties. Recommended Tour: Taste of Britain
12. See the fascinating sights of Cambridge as you ride down the Cam in a traditional punt, a flat-bottomed boat dating back to medieval times. Your guide will steer the boat and regale you with tales of the colleges that surround you. Recommended tour: Gems of Northern England
13. Delve into nautical life in Portsmouth’s Historic Dockyard. Once the world’s greatest naval port, it’s today home to a fascinating collection of some of the most important ships of the past. Recommended tour: Gems of Southern England
14. Marvel at the magnificent stained glass windows of York Minster, a medieval cathedral renowned for its beauty. Recommended tour: Best of Britain
15. Enjoy a vintage train ride through rolling hills and charming countryside departing from the real Hogsmeade Station of the Harry Potter films. Recommended tour: English Odyssey
16. Walk the cobbled streets of St Ives - an old fishing town beloved by artists. See its quaint cottages, art galleries, and surrounding sandy beaches. Recommended tour: Highlights of Britain
17. Kick up your heels as you enjoy a traditional Scottish evening. You'll dine on Scottish foods and be entertained by a lively Scottish band. Recommended tour: Taste of Britain & Ireland
18. Visit Cardiff, the Welsh capital, and take a sightseeing tour of the city before visiting Cardiff Castle, located on the spot where Romans built a fort way back in the first century AD. The castle keep dates back to the 11th century, and much of the medieval castle was fabulously renovated in the opulent Victorian Gothic style. Recommended Tour: Highlights of Britain
19. Visit prehistoric Stonehenge – and marvel at these vast monoliths mysteriously erected 5,000 years ago. Recommended tour: English Odyssey
20. Tour the historic Blair Athol distillery in scenic Pitlochry, at the gateway to the Scottish Highlands. When you sample a dram you'll see why the distillery's whisky has been so popular since it opened in Victorian times. Recommended tour: Irish & Scottish Sampler
21. Savor a traditional Sunday roast for lunch in an authentic English pub. This beloved weekly ritual has its roots in the tradition of serving meat to the royal guards - still known today as "Beefeaters". Recommended tour: English Odyssey
22. Spend a little time in Hay-on-Wye and see why this Welsh community is known as "the town of books" and a haven for bibliophiles. With over twenty bookshops - many specializing in rare, vintage, or historic books - it would be hard to beat it as a reader's paradise. Recommended tour: Highlights of Britain
Ready to start planning? Check out the tours below and find your perfect trip!