CIE TOURS - July 26, 2018
Sunny Days on the Beach in England
Believe it or not, there are days when the weather in England is warm and sunny! Read on to discover where you can catch some rays and spend time on a beach, and visit an iconic English destination where the causeway access road is covered at high tide every day!
I admit that warm, sunny beach days are not the first thing that come to mind when I think of England. But that’s exactly what we had here on the CIE Tour “Scenic Britain”! In fact, England had a dry spell recently this summer with the warmest, driest climate the country has seen since the summer of 1976.
Our “beach vacation” started Day 3 with our visit to Plymouth, England. Our small group of eleven people got our very own private boat tour around the harbor getting a beautiful view of where the Puritans set out for America in 1630, Royal William Yard, Smeaton’s Tower, and even a Royal Navy cruiser.
St Michael’s Mount
The following day the weather was even nicer (a feat I didn’t know possible in England)! After our complimentary breakfast we set out for Saint Michael’s Mount in Cornwall, a small island accessible during low tide. If the water is low enough, you can stroll along the beach or walk the causeway to cross into this island world full of myth and history.
Our day’s explorations concluded with the town of St Ives, originally settled as early as the 6th century. The town was once a major pilgrimage site and later one of the most important ports in Cornwall. Today, visitors come to take in the views and the thriving art scene. After lunch I wandered into the Crypt Gallery. I also visited a handful of others to view beautiful, free exhibitions. St Ives is the perfect place to sit back and enjoy the fresh air. If the weather cooperates, maybe even kick off your shoes and put your toes in the water.
Evelyn was one of our 2018 Social Media Concierges.
Want to learn more?
- Check out the official websites for Cornwall, Plymouth, St Ives and Saint Michael’s Mount [where you can see an amazing video of how the daily changing tides affect access to this iconic English destination!]
- Visit the Wikipedia page for more information about weather in the UK
- Want to know what the weather is there right now? Find out here!
- More details on the amazing Scenic Britain escorted coach tour from CIE Tours can be found here!
- The experts at CIE Tours can tell you the best time of year to visit this part of the UK. Find other Britain tours, Scotland tours, and Ireland tours now!