Visit Ireland with your family on our Irish Myths & Legends guided vacation, one of our Family Collection Tours – specially designed trips that will appeal to children with exciting activities and friendly hotel and dining experiences. Or choose our new Lochs, Luck and Lore guided vacation – visiting both Ireland and Scotland!
Irish Myths and Legends
Explore Ireland with these experiences and more:
- Don your horned hat for a fun Viking tour of Dublin by land and sea in an amphibious vehicle: The Vikings, of course, were frequent invaders into Ireland, and began a settlement in Dublin around 840 AD. On this tour you’ll hear about not just the Vikings but also see sights such as Christ Church Cathedral, Trinity College, Georgian Dublin and much more.
- Engage in a fun cook-off with your fellow travelers as you prepare a traditional Irish meal with a local chef: Roll up your sleeves and learn a little bit about Irish food culture as you engage in friendly competition with your fellow travelers. You’ll all be winners in this cook-off, as you savor the results of your efforts as lunch.
- Visit a traditional farm: You’ll take a walk around the farm with a guide, then have tea and scones. The real highlight will be a demonstration by highly skilled sheepdogs – watch them hard at work as they tend their flock!
- Have a picnic on beautiful Spike Island: This 103-acre island in Cork Harbour bears witness to 1300 years of Irish history. Once the site of a monastery, in Victorian days Spike Island was the home of the largest prison in the world. You’ll take a ferry out to the island, and then you’ll learn the story of the many rebels, rioters, convicts and captains who once inhabited the place.
- Dine in a luxurious rail carriage that was once part of the legendary Orient Express: This Pullman carriage had a storied history. Built in 1927, its routes included the Monaco/Istanbul/St. Petersburg runs, and later it was used on the Brighton to London line. In 1974, it played a starring role in the Agatha Christie film, Murder on the Orient Express. It now rests in Galway at the Glenlo Abbey Hotel.
Lochs, Luck and Lore
On this amazing trip you’ll visit both Scotland and Ireland. You’ll share in these experiences and more!
- Learn about life in a medieval castle: Don some chain mail, try on a helmet, and feel the weight of a sword at Trim Castle.
- Explore the world of Irish sport: Tour Croke Park, the home of the Gaelic Athletic Association – learn about Gaelic football and the ancient Irish game of hurling.
- Visit a farm – and get a special opportunity to “Be Irish”: cut turf, milk a cow or bake brown bread on this special exploration of rural life.
- See Edinburgh Castle, a fortress perched high above the city on a gigantic slab of volcanic rock.
- Visit the basalt columns of Giant’s Causeway, learning both the science of these volcanic structures and the legend of the giant said to have built them as a path to Scotland.